Exercises & Stretches for the
Sitting in a Chair:
Upper Trap Stretch:
- Put right hand under right thigh and take your left hand and pull your head toward your left shoulder. You should feel a stretch on the right side of your neck. Hold for 10-15 seconds. Repeat both sides 3-5 times, 1-2 times a day.
Levator Scapulae Stretch:
- Put right hand under right thigh. Turn your head to your left and let your head fall downward. Next take your left hand and grab behind your head and pull down toward your left armpit. You should feel a stretch on your right side (between your shoulder blade and your head). Hold for 10-15 seconds. Repeat both sides 3-5 times, 1-2 times a day.
- Arms at side, then lift up toward ceiling. 10 repetitions, 3 sets, 1-2 times a day. May use light weights or soup cans for added resistance.
Backward Shoulder Rolls:
- Lift shoulders up (picture #1), pull shoulders backward (picture #2), and lastly pull shoulders downward (picture #3). 20-30 of them 1-2 times a day.
- Pull your elbows backward and pinch your shoulder blades together. Hold for 5 seconds, 10-20 repetitions, 1 time a day.
- Put your finger on your chin and pull your head backward. Do not look up or down when doing this keep your head parallel with the floor. 10-20 repetitions. 1 time a day.
Latissimus Dorsi Stretch:
- Put your left arm up in the air and then stretch it toward the right. Hold for 10-15 seconds. 3 repetitions each side. 1 time a day.
- Lift your left leg about 3-6 inches off the floor, 20-30 times each side. 1 time a day
- Straighten your right leg outward and hold for 3-5 seconds. 20-30 times. 1 time a day.
Heel Raises Sitting:
- Lift your heels off the floor and hold for 3-5 seconds. 20-30 times, 1 time a day.
- Lift your toes off the floor and hold for 3-5 seconds. 20-30 times, 1 time a day.
- Cross your arms over your chest. Tighten your stomach muscles and slowly lean backward 4-10 inches. Make sure you keep your posture straight. 10-15 times, Once a day.
- Use no weights or light weights. I have soup cans in this example. Lift your hands up to your shoulders. 20-30 times, once a day.
- Use no weights or light weights. I have soup cans in this example. Push your Hands up to the ceiling. 20-30 times, once a day.
- Hold onto a counter or table (something sturdy). Feet shoulder width apart. Squat downward as in the second picture. Your butt should go outward and your upper body forward so your weight is over your toes. Make sure to keep your back straight. 10-30 times, one time a day.
Heel Raises Standing:
- Stand with knees extended, lift up onto your toes as if to reach for something in a high cabinet, hold 1-5 seconds. 10-30 times, one time a day.
- Lift your right leg up toward you butt. 10-30 times each side, one time a day.
- Your right leg is back, left leg forward. Lean forward and keep your right leg straight and heel on the ground. Your left leg and bend as you lean forward. You should feel a stretch in your right calf. Hold 10-15 seconds, 3 times each side, one time a day.
- Put your right leg forward and hand on counter top. Lean forward keeping your back pretty straight and right leg straight. You will feel a stretch in the back of the right leg. Hold for 10-15 seconds, 3 times each leg, one time a day.
Standing Hip Extension:
- Pull right leg backward keeping the leg as straight as possible. This is very hard to do and you will really feel it in your butt muscles and hamstring. 10-20 times each side, one time a day.
Standing Hip Abduction:
- Lift your left leg outward. 10-20 times each side, one time a day.
Standing Trunk Extension:
- Put your hands behind your back about where your belt loops are. If you can't put your arms that far back then just put them on your hips. Slowly arch yourself back and then relax to the starting position. Repeat 10 times with each time getting just a little farther backward. Once a day.